Saturday, March 8, 2014

Happy International Women's Day!

I try to keep this page specifically about Star Trek crafts, but I would be remiss if I didn't post one of the most powerful graphics and statements to come out this year on the Internet. While I'm not a young African American woman, I understand what an impact Uhura must have had on a whole generation of Black Women. We can nitpick nowadays about whether or not she had a lot to do on the show, but the sheer fact that she was represented on national TV as an equal carried so much weight. 

As my friend Marian Cordry has said, "While I'm assuming the 'representation' that is spoken of pertains to race, I chose to see it in the context of gender as well, given that Uhura, Troi and Crusher (not to mention Majel's Number One) made quite the impression on me when I was growing up." I have spoken extensively at Star Trek and Geek Girl conventions on this very subject. Anyone who knows me, knows I am a huge fan of Number One (Majel Barrett) and of course, Dr. Elizabeth Dehner. Without them and Uhura there would be no Captain Janeway and perhaps not as many real life women astronauts. So, I raise my Warp Core breach glass to these wonderful women of Star Trek. 






No comments:

Post a Comment